Thursday, February 3, 2011

School district turns snow days into 'e-days'

        This year in a school district in Ohio has been having a ridiculous amount of snow days. They had NINE snow days! Because of the fact that they have had so many snow days the school district turns snow days into 'e-days'. They were thinking about how almost every student has a computer the teachers have been teaching their classes over the internet. Students that don't have a computer to use get an extension to get the work when they go back to school.
        I think that this is a great way of getting in those missed days. From my perspective I believe that students would find this fun and entertaining but also a challenge. They would like it because who else do you know gets their class taught to them over the internet. It's just so shocking that that is how far our world has come to. The difficult parts would be that in school the teachers are there to force to to get to class and pay attention but when a student is online they have more distractions and is harder to stay focused. The other difficult part would be that on a snow day the only thing that kids want to do is sleep late.
       I know that I would really enjoy having my classes taught to me over the web. Who doesn't want to not have to wake up crazy early and sit through class after class? I know I don't.

1 comment:

  1. Julia,

    I am really interested in this idea and how it works for these teachers and students. Maybe we should try to set up a Skype call with one of these schools to speak to them about how it works.

    ReplyDelete